Friday, July 20, 2012

Track 1: Section 9 (Light and Day/ Reach for the Sun)

Hey world.

Have you ever set situations in your life to music?  Not out loud obviously, but in your mind.



It's something I do frequently.  Something that actually tends to help me stick to my convictions, to keep moving forward, to keep me grounded, and to make sure that while not all of my choices are the right ones... the intentions are always of the best nature.

So today I decided: I want to document this.  I want to make a sound track to my life.  Maybe add some commentary to it.  Little blurbs in the liner notes, if you will.


Now I know this is where I need the help of my friends-

You see, my life doesn't belong solely to me.  It belongs to my friends, my family, anyone really...
So why should I be posting my soundtrack without knowing what is playing in your heads too?

It can be anything you want.  But I want the readers to join me in this.  Comment and post the songs that are accompanying your life now too.  It's catharsis.  It's a little crazy.  And it makes life much more exciting.

Life is beautiful, and music is the embodiment of that.  So lets play some music together.



So without further ado-  Today's song:  
Section 9 (Light and Day/Reach for the Sun) by the Polyphonic Spree.


Being away from my friends, and from my family it is easy to feel alone in the world.  Some friends are across the country and some are simply not at home in their own hearts.  But this song and this band make me remember that feeling of togetherness.  This band is such a good example of family.  And on top of that, when times get hard, it's easy to give up.  It's easy to fold and bend and break.  But the true rewards of life will come to those who fight for them.  And more so to those who do so with the help of their friends and family.  

A man shot and killed 12 and injured 38 people last night at the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.  In times like this, we all need friends and family.  We all need love.  We all need some light.

Today and every day is a day for community.  It's a day to aspire to great things.  It's a day to love.
  
So let's follow the day and reach for the sun. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting concept! Zach Rich (who I went to secondary school with) posted the link to this blog and being a musician myself I figured I'd check it out. Anyhow, reading this entry certainly resonated and reminded me of a transitional stage I am currently in that began sometime in October but really began to pick up speed around March. The nature of existence itself is fractal, events are influenced by other events which are in turn influenced by other events and so on, forever. One can gain a visual understanding of this phenomena by looking at the Mandelbrot set. Digressions aside, life comes at you in phases which are cyclical. Each respective known modality is in fact a fraction of a much larger one operating in a similar if not identical manner to the aforementioned one, the whole being the sum of its parts yet a part in itself. What is happening in the phase the I am subjectively going through right now is that many of the people I cherish or once cherished are far away, out of contact, or both. I feel the few who are in contact will fall out of touch, something all of us eventually go through and must learn to come to terms with. There have been times where we have all had reliable support groups with whom we surrounded ourselves and together reveled in the ecstatic joys and pains of living. The reason I believe I exist in these times and in this paradigm is to help others as well as myself unlock the inherent will to conquer our personal shortcomings, enlighten ourselves, and guide our species toward progression. Nostalgia can bite rather hard when we reflect on the past. There are a countless number of songs that capture this particular form of melancholia perfectly, I could ramble off a list of ones that have filled the soundtrack role when this has happened to me before. Instead, I'll give you the one that's helping me cope right now.

    Here's the song, a brilliant paradox of upbeat danciness and nostalgic melancholia that'll hopefully get everyone's feet moving as they reflect. Cheers!

    -Casey Ahrens-Cavallo, Syracuse

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gqh4e1S6j0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome post, Casey! And the song is great. It seems you and I are in similar transition phases and I really enjoy the fact that we both picked upbeat songs to help us through instead of dwelling. I hope to see more posts from you in the future.

      Delete
  2. I figure I should make a comment too.

    I'm a big fan of them video game thingies. So much so, that on my days off, I often find myself playing them from sunrise to sunset, year to year. On my day off today, between progress from my fourth play-through of Star Ocean 4 and my first of Spider-Man: Edge of Time, after letting that game sit around and collect dust on my shelf for seven months, I jammed to a little Rock Band 3 today.

    A few years ago, a free song was offered for RB players; a medley of new songs from little known artists available for purchase. I had played the medley when it came out, but my taste in music at the time was too linear to actually like any of it. I gave it another chance today. I discovered this beautiful little gem. I proceeded to find the band online, discovered all their albums were available for free, and quickly started downloading the entire discography. I have not stopped listening to this song all day.

    Freen in Green - Frontier Factory: Remanufactured - Pixelated Planet (2011)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm2U6apzboc&feature=relmfu

    - Zach Rich, Buffalo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song is kind of awesome Zach. Also, way to be brave and do a post of something rather mundane. And I mean the sincerely. Life isn't just self-affirming moments and trials and tribulations. Sometimes its just average every day life.

      Delete
  3. The song of the day for me is one that I just discovered recently, and I have been playing over and over again because no matter what I do, I can't get it out of my head, and it always seems to mellow me out.

    Goyte- Eyes Wide Open
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyVJsg0XIIk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still on the fence about this song, I like it but my heart hasn't form it's emotional response to it yet. But I must say, this music video is fantastic. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete